Well the draft is finally upon us! If most of you are like me, you’re probably a nervous wreck right now. What are the Jazz going to do? Is the player they draft going to help take us to the next level in a few years? Will they trade up? Will they trade down? Will they trade out? Some many options, so little time. Here’s my guess as to what will happen tomorrow.
1. Cleveland Cavaliers – Andrew Wiggins, SG - In the end I think Wiggins’ potential wins out.
2. Milwaukee Bucks – Jabari Parker, SF - Sounds like Jabari has a promise and he likes the idea of playing close to home
3. Philadelphia 76ers – Donte Exum, PG/SG - Although I don’t know if this makes a ton of sense, maybe a MCW trade could be in the works since Exum sees himself as a PG.
4. Orlando Magic – Noah Vonleh, PF - Vonleh, by all acounts, would thrive next to Vucevic.
5. Utah Jazz – Aaron Gordon, PF - The hardest pick to predict. Jazz could go in so many directions. I think Gordon’s elite athleticism and the fact that he does so many things well will win over his poor shooting and poor FT%. If he can be like Shawn Marion, this is a great pick.
6. Boston Celtics – Marcus Smart, PG - Rondo won’t be around forever and the C’s won’t skip a beat when that happens with Smart’s leadership skills.
7. LA Lakers – Joel Embiid, C - This will be a steal for LA. They don’t care if he’s ready or not for the beginning of the year. They will be busy signing big name free agents. Once he’s healthy, he’ll be icing on the cake.
8. Sacramento Kings – Elfrid Payton, PG - This might be a reach for the Kings but they want size at the 1 and Payton offers that.
9. Charlotte Hornets – Doug McDermott, SF - I think McDermott could end up setting rookie records for 3PM and 3PA.
10. Philadelphia 76ers – Julius Randle, PF - Philly got their wing with the #3 pick and they get a skilled big with their 2nd pick. Randle a good fit with a young Philly team.
11. Denver Nuggets – Gary Harris, SG - A younger version of Randy Foye?
12. Orlando Magic – Nik Stauskas, SG/SF - Best player on the board and gives the Magic a weapon on the wing.
13. Minnesota T-Wolves – James Young, SG - Athletic young wing with a lot of talent.
14. Phoenix Suns – Zach LaVine, PG - Another big time athlete that gives Phoenix depth at the PG position.
15. Atlanta Hawks – Shabazz Napier, PG - Point Guards are flying off the shelf! Get one while they’re hot!
16. Chicago Bulls – Rodney Hood, SG - As much as I would love for Hood to slide to 23, the Bulls will not let that happen. Dangerous shooter from deep.
17. Boston Celtics – Dario Saric, SF/PF - Celtics can afford the luxury of allowing Saric to develop overseas the next couple of years like he wants to. A steal here in my opinion.
18. Phoenix Suns – Adreian Payne, PF - With Channing Frye set to hit the FA maket, the suns get his replacement here.
19. Chicago Bulls – P.J Hairston, SG - Will ad some offense for a team that will need it while Derrick Rose recovers from injury.
20. Toronto Raptors – Tyler Ennis, PG - The local product gets to go home.
21. OKC Thunder – T.J. Warren, SF - A very good scorer that could score a lot in the NBA especially with the defense focusing on Westbrook and Durant.
22. Memphis Grizzles – Kyle Anderson, PG - The 6’9″ PG finds a great fit with Memphis. He’ll cause match up problems every time he’s on the court.
23. Utah Jazz – Jordan Clarkson, PG - The Jazz want a PG on the roster that has size, length and athleticism and Clarkson checks all those boxes.
24. Charlotte Hornets – K.J. McDaniels, SG - An athletic wing who can’t shoot it like McDermott, but can make all the athletic plays McD cannot.
25. Houston Rockets – Jarnell Stokes, PF - Another big body to help out Dwight Howard.
26. Miami Heat – Clint Capela, PF - A young athlete still learning the game that could use time learning from some veteran big men.
27. Phoenix Suns – Jordan Adams, SG - Can be a nice scoring option off the bench.
28. LA Clippers – Mitch McGary, C - If the Clippers end up cleaning house to clear cap space for LeBron, DeAndre Jordan could be on his way out. They draft his replacement here.
29. OKC Thunder – Glenn Robinson III, SF - Another guy that knows how to score the basketball. Thunder need more than 2 guys that can do that, and they accomplish that with this draft.
30. San Antonio Spurs – Patrick Young, C - Big, strong and physical center that will do all the dirty work off the bench that the Spurs love.
Well there you have it! I can’t wait until tomorrow. Should be a fun 4 hours!