On Friday, the NBA held there Board of Governors meeting in New York. A lot of things were discussed among NBA owners and the NBA’s front office. One order of business that needed to be taken care of was random drawings to determine the order teams would be slotted in, heading to the NBA lottery held on May 20th.
The Utah Jazz were part of this drawing because they finished the season tied with the Boston Celtics for the fourth worst record in the league. After a random drawing to determine who would get that fourth slot and fifth slot, the Jazz came out as the winners. This improved their chances at landing the number one overall pick and also improved their chances of landing a top three pick.
The current draft order can be found below, but the lottery held next month will determine the final drafting order.
1. Milwaukee Bucks (15-67)
2. Philadelphia 76ers (19-63)
3. Orlando Magic (23-59)
4. Utah Jazz (25-57)
5. Boston Celtics (25-57)
6. Los Angeles Lakers (27-55)
7. Sacramento Kings (28-54)
8. Detroit Pistons (29-53) *This pick may be conveyed to Charlotte
9. Cleveland Cavaliers (33-49)
10. New Orleans Pelicans (34-48) *This pick may be conveyed to Philadelphia
11. Denver Nuggets (36-46) *This pick may be conveyed to Orlando
12. New York Knicks (37-45) (To Denver or to Orlando via Denver)
13. Minnesota Timberwolves (40-42) *This pick may be conveyed to Phoenix
14. Phoenix Suns (48-34)
The rest of the first round is already set. The teams that made the playoffs draft in the order of how they finished in the regular season. That list is as follows.
15. Atlanta Hawks (38-44)
16. Charlotte Bobcats (43-39) *This pick will go to Chicago
17. Brooklyn Nets (44-38) *This pick will go to Boston
18. Washington Wizards (44-38) *This pick will go to Phoenix
19. Chicago Bulls (48-34)
20. Toronto Raptors (48-34)
21. Dallas Mavericks (49-33) *This pick will go to Houston
22. Memphis Grizzlies (50-32)
23. Golden State Warriors (51-31) *This pick will go to Utah
24. Portland Trail Blazers (54-28) *This pick will go to Charlotte
25. Houston Rockets (54-28)
26. Miami Heat (54-28)
27. Indiana Pacers (56-26) *This pick will go to Phoenix
28. Los Angeles Clippers (57-25)
29. Oklahoma City Thunder (59-23)
30. San Antonio Spurs (62-20)
Again, the draft order for lottery teams will not be official until May 20th, but the Jazz got a win today in terms of ping pong balls to better their chances. After a season filled with so many losses, it was nice to get a win today.