It feels so good to finally have some Jazz basketball back. I know it was only the preseason but it was awesome to see our team out there playing against another team and not themselves in practice. There were a couple things that really stood out to me.
1. I loved the way Jeremy Evans played. He looked confident in his shot and can now face up his defender and shoot, which from his high release point and with his hops it is almost unblockable. He also showed defensive improvement. David Lee was able to back him up a couple times but Evans was still able to alter his shot and and get rebounds. Evans had 12 points and 13 rebounds in about 25 minutes of play. Solid. If the Jazz can get this out of Evans consistently that is huge for the bench.
2. Derick Favors is a beast. His presence on the defensive end is huge. If hes not blocking the shot he is altering it on almost every attempt down there. Also was a beast on the boards he had 14 rebounds and 9 of those coming in the first quarter. He also ended up with 3 blocked shots and 10 pts. All of this in just 26 min of play.
3. Love the way we used Kanter on pick and pops. It was beautiful to watch Hayward suck in the defense and then kick it out to Kanter who hits the open jump shot with ease. This will be deadly
4.Trey Burke looked great out there. I love his poise and for the most part he didn’t try to rush anything. His shot looked just fine. One thing he can work on is knowing what he is going to do when he gets to the hole. I think he got caught up not knowing if he shoot or kick it out. Though I’m sure this will get worked out in the preseason.
5. Gordon Hayward on an off night put up 8pts, 8ast, 7reb, and 3 steals. Just Gordon doing work.
6. John Lucas. We finally have a legitimate back up pg. Enough said
7. I know it was just preseason, and the Warriors are coming off of 3 games in four nights but it was great to see the Jazz play again.